Saturday, July 20, 2013

Late Post: Two Decades of Glass at DDC

I've really fallen behind with the posts but I can barely hold my ten month old accountable. At this year's ICFF in New York, there was a wonderful and unique exhibit “Big Color,” that offered a retrospective of architectural-scale glass designs created in the 1950s through the 1970s by resident artists at the Blenko Glass Company in West Virginia.

Damon Crain of Culture Object showed 120 pieces created by top Blenko designers Wayne Husted, Joel Philips Myers and John Nickerson.

“Sometimes people aren’t sure how to live with the pieces,” he said, “but when they see them grouped together as a landscape, something clicks and it makes sense.” Prices range from $700 for a 22-inch cylindrical vase by Joel Myers to $5,500 for a 38-inch-tall decanter by Husted.

While Blenko is nice, I've always leaned to the cased Italian and Scandinavian glass of the era.











1 comment:

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

Even though I love glass of all kinds, I have very little of it. When I buy, I invariably gravitate to pottery. I think my son-in-law is about to close out all the Blenko in our store.